Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Doctor's office - Manchester, NH

I had a doctor's appointment today, and it had taken about 6 weeks to get it in the first place. I arrived 10 minutes early for my appointment. I told the receptionist my first name, and my appointment time. All of the day's appointments were printed up right in front of her (including last names that all patient's checking in could read easily) - a big HIPAA violation, as was asking me my last name, which she then proceeded to do.

I waited a few minutes past my appointment time to be brought to the room, which was fine, and I was told the MD would be in to see me in a few minutes. Over promising and under delivering is a huge no-no, especially to people when they are already feeling vulnerable as patients.

I waited 45 minutes with no updates from anyone, on why it was taking so long. I finally went out to the waiting room, so they would see that I was still there (and to get a magazine because I was bored to tears), and I went back to the room for 10 more minutes. Finally, I went to the front desk to ask what the hold up was. They told me they thought I had already been seen. Ah, no. I told them I had a meeting to get to, so if I wasn't going to be seen soon, I needed to go.

They said I could reschedule, and I told them it took 6 weeks for me to get the appointment in the first place, and if it's so common for the MD to be an hour late for an appointment that they don't even feel the need to update the patient (I kept the second part in my head), then I would like to find a different MD.

They said she'd be in to see me within the next 10 minutes, so I reluctantly waited. After a few minutes, they popped in and told me it was going to be a lot longer than 10 minutes after all. I heard the MD leave the room and go see another patient who had arrived after me. Knowing I had been waiting so long, they should have made certain I was seen next, or at least given me an explanation of why I wasn't.

They were not helpful, not as apologetic as they should have been for the giant inconvenience, and they didn't even follow healthcare policy. The MD office staff receives a 1 for my service rating.

1 comment:

Alison... said...

1? yikes! that's bad but they deserve it